1. Split the tempeh in half so that you have two thin rectangles.
2. Steam it for ten minutes to soften it. Cut each piece of tempeh into 4 pieces so you have 16 pieces in total.
3. Mix the lager with the batter mix until it is the desired consistency (like pancake batter). Then stir in shredded seaweed.
4. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large saucepan to 180°C. Dredge the tempeh pieces in the cornflour, shake off the excess, and then coat with the batter.
5. Fry the tempeh in the saucepan in batches, turning once, until golden brown.
6. Place the pieces on paper towels to drain and sprinkle with salt.
7. Serve while hot with chips and tartar sauce on the side. Add lemon wedges for garnish if desired.